Friday 26 January 2007

Happy Australia Day!

I have to say that while I don't have anything planned for Australia Day except for a pile of typing that I have to have done by tomorrow, I'm still very mildful and grateful for what it means to be an Australian and to live in such a beautiful and diverse country that in today's terms is still very much "the lucky country". Sure we have the same social issues as many other places but there are so many people who care about those issues and dedicate time and resources to helping to solve them. We have that real mateship about us and how we deal with people we interact with every day. It's the whole fair go for everyone philosophy that I like. We welcome people from all over the world to share our beautiful country and to build on its future. We've come a long way from what was a British outpost for convicts a little over 200 years ago to an amazing place to live.

We weren't here first though, and I feel obliged to acknowledge that. The Aboriginal people loved and cared for this country long before our ancestors got here and it must be difficult to preserve that culture in such a fast changing world.

If work weren't calling me quite so loudly I'd be at the beach today I think. The sun, sand and surf are the epitome of what it is to me to live in Australia. I love the hot summer days and late afternoon storms like yesterday, I love thongs on bare feet, larrikins, bbqs, icy cold beer, criket, tennis, football, aussie rules even if I don't understand it. I love that Australians are passionate, loyal, proud of who we are and happy to share what we've got. I love this country and I'm glad my kids are growing up here. I love that Australia has an out there, alive and kicking scrapping industry with some of the best talent on the planet.

Have a corker of an Australia Day, whatever you do to celebrate! Throw a snag on the barbie, knock the top of a cold one, get some sand under your feet or kick back under the shade of a Coolibah tree. Listen to some Cold Chisel, go for a burn in a ute, pat a blue cattle dog, wear your thongs proudly everywhere you go, paint your face with zinc, go the backyard cricket match, spin a yarn or go troppo.

Aussie, Aussie, Aussie, Oi, Oi, Oi!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Mmmmmmm Slider Love